Friday, April 1, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday - 4/1/11





Thanks to Jen for hosting.

~1~

I'm big into sharing good news. I like sharing interesting and uplifting stories that I find, and Claire Culwell's story is definitely one of them! Thanks to Jen for posting this at her site, and thank you to Claire for sharing her amazing story of the gift of life.  





~2~

I registered Lauren for kindergarten yesterday. What?!?! Did I just write that?! When did my baby become old enough to, not only be without me all day long, but actually look forward to it? As we were walking through the halls on our way to the car, she asked if we could go find her teacher so she could stay. She wanted to stay there so badly! I know it sounds cliche, but I can't believe how fast the past five years have gone. Now I really understand what my parents meant when they used to say that. 


~3~

I got a thing in the mail yesterday for my 10 year college reunion. What?!?! Did I just write that?! When did I become old enough to say I've been out of college for 10 years?! (Yes, I know, there seems to be a theme going on here...) I'm not sure if I'll be going or not. Did you go to your 10th (or other significant number) reunion? How was it?

~4~

Speaking of college, I found some pictures from that era recently. Now, I say this with as much humility as I can, but wow, I looked pretty awesome. I honestly don't know how I possibly thought then that I was fat and needed to lose tons of weight. I'd give anything to look like that again! It's so sad that I didn't see myself the way I truly looked back then. 

~5~

I've heard people (mostly women) say that they're so unhappy with themselves, and usually this is in regards to their physical appearance. Our society puts so much worth on looks and so little on character. You can be the most unkind, immoral, unethical person around, but if you're 5' 10" and 97 lbs., who cares? While I want to lose weight and get healthier, I've recognized that there is a very important distinction every person needs to recognize: being happy with how you look and being happy with who you are are two very different things. Yes, our body image can have a huge impact on our self-esteem, but we (especially the ladies) need to remember that when God looks at us, he doesn't see the extra pounds of pregnancy weight we can't seem to shake, the hair that should've been cut and styled a few months ago but we were too busy with kids to make an appointment, or the plain jeans and t-shirt (that's usually covered in spit up and/or food of some kind) we're wearing. He sees our hearts, our kind words, our acts of mercy toward others. I'm certainly not perfect, but I'm happy with who I am (and who, with God's help, I'm striving to be). Now if I could just get rid of the dark circles under my eyes....

~6~

Because I always have to share a picture:

Emily loved the cold, snowy weather a few weeks ago.
~7~

Before writing this post, I loaded up all the kiddos and went grocery shopping. I think my time in purgatory has been greatly shortened by this one trip alone.

Have a great weekend everyone! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to such a large university, I doubt anyone has a reunion for college. I skipped my 10 year high school reunion and probably won't go to any...I don't know anyone from my graduating class anyway. Kind of strange, i guess.

Loved that video at Jen's blog, as well. Have a great weekend!

Elizabeth said...

My college graduating class was around maybe 500 people or so, and we'd only have to travel about 25 minutes and wouldn't need a hotel or anything....I don't know, I guess I'll wait to see if any of my friends are going! :)