Thursday, September 1, 2011

A new schedule



Schedule.

This one word can bring great calm or crazy chaos, depending on what yours contains.

For a long time, mine was the crazy chaos type. Working full-time outside the home, bringing Lauren to and from daycare, barely having time with Sean or together as a family or for myself.

Then, a change in the schedule. Tommy's birth marked the beginning of my stay-at-home-mom-hood and the beginning of my great calm.

For a long time, I've had no real schedule at all. I mean, sure, we have a general schedule of how our days go -- it's not like we're eating breakfast at 2 p.m. or something -- but nothing very set.


Photo source

Because of how crazy and stressed I was for a long time, once I didn't have to have a schedule, I really loved it! I loved not having to get up at a certain time, not having to get dressed until 10 a.m. or whenever I felt like it, not having to get to bed in anticipation of super early to work mornings. I loved being able to devote myself nearly completely to my family, to spending time together doing....whatever. 

I pretty much rebelled against any schedule. I became an un-scheduler. Yes, I know that's not a real word, but whatever.

Sadly, this wonderful leisure activity has
never been part of my life.
Nor has this waist size.


For awhile though, I've been thinking that we might all benefit from a bit more structure. I've loved the idea and reality of not being committed to anything outside of our family and attending Mass. It's freeing to know that you can do whatever whenever (well, within reason). I've loved knowing that we could make a trip to visit my parents pretty much anytime we felt like it (well, Sean couldn't because of work, but he'd always support me if I wanted to go). The flip side of that freedom though is that you don't do as much as you might, because you think you'll do it tomorrow....and we all know where procrastination gets us: nowhere.

When Lauren was in preschool this past year, that gave us a little more structure. With kindergarten starting next week, it's going to force certain changes. No more mid-week visits to GG and Pop, no more sleeping past 6 a.m. (oh, the horror!), no more letting the kids stay up a little extra late as a special treat because of the aforementioned early wake up call. Homework, field trips, activities, friends, concerts....it's all starting.

So, like I said, I've been thinking about getting us on a more structured schedule. My reasoning isn't just due to outside factors, but also because I need to have time for myself. I think having quiet, uninterrupted time in the mornings to start the day reflecting on Jesus' life and how I can best serve Him is something I need. Starting my day in such a way can only bring good things! My current prayer life is good but it's filled with constant distractions and interruptions. Part of this is because my vocation is that of wife and mother, not that of religious life, but part of it is because I don't use all of my time as well as I could. While I love that prayer is woven throughout my day, I think with all God has given me I should be able to find 20 minutes of quiet for Him. Somehow I find more than that to watch TV, or Facebook, or fill-in-the-blank. If I start the day with Him, I trust that He will remain with me throughout the day, no matter what it brings.

I'm also hopeful that I can start going to Eucharistic Adoration once a week. I've really been feeling a pull to this for a long time and it's time I find a way to make it happen.

I'm also planning for my new schedule to include time for exercise so I can finally start shedding some of this weight. I've been carrying it for far too long. Since I'm not really a morning person, I don't see myself sweating it out at 7 a.m., but you never know. I guess it won't matter when I do it, just that I do! 

Going along with this is meal planning. This has been on my radar for months, and with my recent couponing endeavors, hopefully I'll get my act together in this department too.

As far as housework, I'm thinking about setting up a schedule for that too. I know lots of people have set days for set tasks but honestly, I don't know if that will work with three little ones. I'm cleaning constantly because that's how it is with kids! If you have a housework schedule, please share what works for you.  

At some point maybe I'll set up a specific, here's what each day will look like schedule, but for now I'm leaving things a bit vague...a happy place somewhere between every minute accounted for and un-scheduling.

So, I guess I'll enjoy these next few days of un-scheduledness. Maybe the kids and I will have a pajama day, maybe we'll go to the park, maybe we'll get together with friends. I know for sure that all five of us will enjoy being together before the rush of the school year begins.





Lacy at Catholic Icing is hosting a link up all about schedules. I'm going to head over there and see how other families find time for it all, won't you join me? :)


No comments: