Yesterday it was 85 and muggy. This morning it is 43 and raining. Ah, Central New York living.
Next week will be five years since my grandfather died. It is so fitting that this Memorial Day, he and other veterans from my hometown are being memorialized by the Cairo Historical Society. Banners featuring 107 hometown heroes now line the streets. Here's the one of my grandfather:
![]() |
| My wonderful grandfather (holding my uncle). |
I
really wish I could be there for the Memorial Day parade this year. I
marched in it for many years as a member of the high school marching
band, but I didn't have the appreciation for our veterans then that I do
now (I wasn't uncaring, I was just a teenager). My brother will march
with the volunteer fire department as usual and seeing the banners of
our hometown heroes during the parade will make it extra special.
From the town's website:
Our Heroes...
Proudly, the Cairo Historical Society will launch a new program on Memorial Day after the Memorial Day Parade, May 27th at 11am, at the Town Park immediately following the Memorial Day Ceremony: "Town of Cairo Hometown Heroes Banners Program". It's a living tribute to the servicemen and women from the Town of Cairo who served our country from the Revolutionary War to the present day. Each banner will honor a specific Town of Cairo former or present serviceman or woman and will include their picture, branch of service, and military conflict in which they served. The banners will be displayed for approximately 2 months from May to July. The banners will be hung on lampposts that line Main St., Cairo and Mountain Ave. into Purling. At this time, the Cairo Historical Society has received 107 applications.
The following Conflicts/Wars and Branches of Service are represented:Revolutionary War (1), War of 1812 (1), Civil War (3), Spanish American War (1), WW1 (14), WW2 (58), Korea (10), Vietnam (7), Grenada/Panama (1), Persian Gulf (2), Iraq (3), Afghanistan (2), Peacetime (4); Army (63), Navy (15), Coast Guard (1), Marine (11), Air Force (5), Army Air Corps (11), Army Air Service (1).The banners line Main St, Railroad Ave, VanBuren Ln, Mountain Ave, and are also behind Town Hall & in front of the Cairo Library. God Bless our servicemen and women and their families!
I posted on Facebook last night that I'm in a cooking rut. Cooking is not my strongest area of homemaking. If I'm making a big meal for a holiday or having people over then I enjoy it more, but the day-to-day cooking just feels blah to me. Share some of your favorite recipes, please! (Keep in mind I have three kids, so if it takes all day to prepare and make, I probably won't even try it.)
Lately, it different circles of my life, it seems I cannot escape drama. The high school type of drama that I thought I left....well, back in high school. It's so weird to me that grown women feel the need to constantly gossip. I really try to stay away from it, but it's hard! God, help me to remember YOUR words:
Gracious words are like a honeycomb,
sweetness to the soul and health to the body.
~Proverbs 16:24
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such
as is
good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give
grace to
those who hear.
~Ephesians 4:29
So instead of gossip, let's share inspiring words! Wise Words Wednesday is something I want to do each week. I tried setting up a link-up thing but it won't work. Can someone give me some help?
Now begins my month of waiting. I have two doula clients due in the next four weeks, and I'm so excited for them!
--- 8 ---
Bonus quick take to complain: Blogger formatting really stinks. Notice how the font changes throughout this post? I've spent more time trying to fix the formatting than actually writing. Ugh! I give up!
For more Quick Takes, visit Jen at Conversion Diary! (I'm looking forward to reading her book!)


No comments:
Post a Comment