Thirty-eight years ago, Richard Nixon was President and Watergate was about to happen.
Some of the most popular TV shows 38 years ago were All in the Family, The Waltons, The Carol Burnett Show, Medical Center, M*A*S*H*, and The Brady Bunch. The idea of "reality" TV would have made people fall off their couches.
![]() |
| The Waltons |
The average prices for everything were lower -- lots lower -- 38 years ago:
- a new house $32,500.00
- income per year $12,900.00
- monthly rent $175.00
- a gallon of gas 40 cents
- a dozen eggs 45 cents
![]() |
| Photo credit |
Thirty-eight years ago, the Supreme Court overstepped its authority and legislated from the bench in the Roe v. Wade case, legalizing the murder of unborn human lives. Ironically, the Endangered Species Act of 1973 is signed into law to "protect species and the ecosystems upon which they depend."
The Vietnam War ended 38 years ago.
The World Trade Center in New York became the tallest building in the world 38 years ago.
Barcoding was first used 38 years ago.
* * * * *
Something that has not changed in 38 years: my parents are still married. Today is their 38th wedding anniversary, and while I know there have been plenty of ups and downs, they are still together.
Mom and Dad, thank you for giving all five of us kids an example of what a faithful, loving, fun, joyful marriage looks like.
We've also seen little bits and pieces of the not-so fun and joyful, and we've learned from that too.
Thank you for showing us with your lives that love is a decision, an act of the will.
Thank you for showing us that loving someone isn't all gushy and perfect with romantic music swelling in the background, but most days real love involves sacrifices, whether big or small, but sacrifices that are made because you want what is best for the other person.
Thank you for showing us that sometimes love is gushy.
Thank you for huggers. I am carrying on the tradition with my family.
Thank you to being open to life, and for blessing me with the four most wonderful siblings anyone could ask for. I am grateful beyond measure.
![]() |
| My siblings and me. I'm looking forward to getting a new picture with you guys this weekend! |
![]() |
| All of us (except Lauren and Tommy, who knows where they were running off to) at Emily's Baptism last year. Sorry Dad, I know you won't like this picture, but it's the only one I had. |
I love our family more than words can express, and I thank you both for all you've done in the past 38 years.
Here's to the next 38.





1 comment:
Thank you, Elizabeth, for your beautiful thoughts and words. It has truly been our pleasure to be married for all these years and to have the most wonderful children IN THE WORLD!! Think I'll go find Dad and get "gushy"! :))
Post a Comment