Friday, July 22, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday - 7/22/11



Thanks to Jen for hosting!

~1~
I'm really not lazy....but if you happen to follow my blog at all, you might think I am, since I haven't written in forever. When I started this blog I really thought I'd have time to write like, everyday (what was I thinking?) but that's obviously not the case. With taking care of the kids and the house, trying to get my small business going, and spending time with Sean, I just haven't found a way to make blogging a regular part of the schedule. It seems like some people's blogs that I follow have more going on in their lives and still blog far more often than I do, so sometimes it makes me wonder why I can't do the same.

Oh well, I may be the only one reading anyway!

~2~

On writing: it's not only a lack of time, but it seems I've had writer's block lately. I used to be a great writer. I'm not bragging, just saying that writing was my thing -- trust me, there are many things I am terrible at. Anyway, I have topics I want to write about, but I guess I'm just having trouble finding ways to ease into them and make them interesting instead of just blurting things out.


~3~

I mentioned extreme couponing recently but didn't really get any feedback on the blog. Then, when visiting my parents last weekend and enjoying their cable TV,  I happened across TLC's show Extreme Couponing. I was astounded at how much people are able to save! I know it's TV and I'm sure there are some not-so-real things going on, but there is something to it. I'm going to start getting the Sunday paper and really going to try to make an impact in our grocery budget (it's ridiculous). If you're local and you get coupons but don't use them, please save them for me! I'll let you know how it goes....
~4~



Hillair Creations update: I've just come up with some custom designed bride and groom rosaries at the direction of a customer and I'm looking forward to see which set she chooses. Things are s....l....o....w....l....y picking up; I'm hopeful that things will continue in this direction.
~5~


The heat: like many around the country, we've been having a heat wave. It reached 101 degrees yesterday, with a heat index of nearly 120 degrees! Without air conditioning, we faced it with lots of water and lots of fans. Sleeping last night was difficult though, I couldn't fall asleep because it was so hot! Today's high is predicted to be only about 94 degrees (heat index around 100 I think) -- can you say cool down?

I'm not complaining though, because our winters here last like six months, half of which seem to be at 15 degrees or below, which I absolutely hate. So I'll take the sweat, the stickiness, the heat -- it beats frost bite and 10 feet of snow any day.

~6~

Sometimes I think it's hard for me us to remember that saints were regular people who faced all the things we face in our lives. Sure, they didn't have Facebook or smart phones, but they did have the same temptations and sufferings we encounter in our lives. What made them saints was not the mistakes they made, but how they overcame those things with God's help.

Today is the feast day of St. Mary Magdalene. She's an awesome saint (well, aren't they all?) because when we really think about her life, her turnaround is incredible! From prostitute to saint, that's pretty amazing. Surely only God could cause such a change of heart, and only God's mercy could do such a thing. She was there at our Lord's crucifixion, she was given the privilege of announcing that He was no longer in the tomb (even though she didn't quite understand it at the time).

If you'd like to read about St. Mary Magdalene, read this article or check out this site.  

~7~
 I guess I should have called this 6 quick takes, since that's all I have. Oh well, have a wonderful weekend! :)



No comments: