Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Walking and Talking

You know how when your baby is little you can't wait for them to hit the next milestone, and the next, and the next?

"When will she start ____?" 

"When will he ____?"

"Oh, she's finally ____!"

Why is it that we're always looking forward, instead of enjoying right where we are?

I guess it's not a bad thing to look forward, I mean, that's what hope is right? Hope is a wonderful thing. It's just that if we're always looking forward to the next event, we might miss what's happening right now.

Emily is 15 months old now. I was tempted to write that she's almost 16 months, but see, there it is again -- looking ahead! So, she is 15 months, three weeks and two days old to be exact. I call her my munchkin because she's so little. At her one year checkup she was in the fifth percentile for height and weight -- yes, that's the 5th percentile, meaning that 95% of all other children her age are bigger than her. Developmentally she's doing just fine, even starting to talk a little and say some real words. (This is far earlier than Lauren and Tommy started saying words we could understand.) 

The one thing I keep looking forward to her doing is walking. She's taken her first unaided steps, but only a few and then hasn't really taken any more since then. She grabs onto whatever hand is closest and then walks, or sits down and crawls. I'm not worried about this, but since Lauren walked at 12 months and Tommy walked at 13 months, I keep wondering when she'll really take off.

I suppose I should be happy that she's not yet able to run circles around the house like the other two, but I still wonder when it will happen. Of course, Lauren loves to pick her up and carry her around, so I'm sure Emily is just enjoying the ride. Why walk when you can have someone carry you?

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy watching her crawl around almost as fast as the other two run, trying to keep up with them and giggling with them.

Look how big those shorts are on her!
 

I want to remember this moment before it's gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My oldest walked at 9 months and none of the others have walked earlier than 13 months. Helen was 18 months! But, like your Emily...she was content to be held and her older sisters enjoyed bringing her whatever she might have wanted. :) As for talking I think younger siblings talk faster because they don't want to be left out! But that's just my completely unsubstantiated theory. :)

i have really been trying to live in the moment this go-round. My husband and I are not getting any younger...We never know if this is our last go-round with a bsby. I realize that with my other's I have kind of "wished away" their baby-hood....I have a post brewing on this very topic, actually! I'm not sure what the answer is...our society is so geared on looking forward. But hopefully we can all strike a balance at least once in awhile. :)

Elizabeth said...

I agree with your theory on talking being related to older siblings.

Walking at 9 months?! Yikes! :)

Lisa Maria said...

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for visiting my blog. I love the name of yours! I know what you mean about wanting to slow down and savour things in the now rather than looking ahead all the time. Its really hard to do!

As for your daughter.. I'm pretty sure she'll catch up at some point. My second daughter was shorter than average.. right up until puberty. Now, at 18, she's taller than everyone except her 6'+ father!

Savour those moments!

God bless!